It's Award Season.
Andy Talley's Villanova Football squad entered the season with high expectations; the Wildcats were tapped to win the CAA, the writers gave them a #5 pre-season ranking, and the coaches placed them 9th.
Despite sophomore quarterback John Robertson's multiple Conference Player of the Week honors, the 6-5 'Nova Football team has been shut out in the CAA Conference awards, and now, the FCS Awards. Robertson wasn't in the top-10 for passing yards, however, and he didn't come close to the 2305 rushing yards accumulated by Towson's Terrance West, but he was the leading rusher for a Villanova offense that ranked 9th in the nation for rushing. He finished 4th for scoring with 10.9 points per game, 5th in the country for rushing touchdowns, 7th for rushing yards per game (important, since he did not have playoff games to boost his total), and 9th for total offense at 306.5 yards per game.
At Monday's FCS Award Banquet Robertson, last year's Jerry Rice Award winner for the country's best freshman, finished 9th in the Walter Payton Award as the country's best player.
The Sports Network also handed out the following awards...
- Buck Buchanan Award (Brad Daly, Montana State- DE, FCS outstanding defensive player)
- Jerry Rice Award (Cooper Kupp, Eastern Washington- WR, FCS freshman of the year)
- Eddie Robinson Award (Craig Bohl, North Dakota State, FCS coach of the year).
Pouring salt on the wounds, the AP announced their three All-American teams on Wednesday where no Villanovan can be found. You wouldn't be completely insane for thinking that, with such a prolific rushing offense, the Wildcats would have at-least placed an offensive lineman on one of those teams.
Walter Payton Player of the Year Voting
|1||Jimmy Garoppolo||E Illinois|
|2||Vernon Adams||E Washington|
|4||Brock Jensen||North Dakota St.|
|6||Zach Zenner||South Dakota St.|
|7||Erik Lora||Eastern Illinois|
|8||Bryan Bennett||SE Louisiana|
|11||Lorenzo Taliaferro||Coastal Car.|
|12||Zach Bauman||Northern Arizona|
|13||Kyle Harbridge||Saint Francis|
|15||Mason Mills||San Diego|
|16||Timothy Flanders||Sam Houston St.|
|17||Walter Powell||Murray St.|
|20||Isaiah Crowell||Alabama St.|
What do you think? Should a Wildcat have won something?
- Jay Wright is the third-highest paid private school basketball coach
- The Sun's Arizin: Villanova Wildcats news and links for December 18, 2013
- Villanova football recruiting: New Jersey RB Matt Gudzak commits to Villanova
- Villanova Basketball at Syracuse: Game Time Update
- BIG EAST Power Rankings: Pirates in the cellar