Villanova Basketball held their annual banquet and named the team's award winners on Wednesday.
Graduating senior and captain Mouphtaou Yarou the winner of the Villanova Basketball Award. This award is given to the Villanova basketball player, "who best embodies the core values of Villanova Basketball by playing hard, playing together and playing with pride."
It is the second consecutive year that Yarou has taken home the award.
JayVaughn Pinkston claimed the The Most Outstanding Player award as he averaged just over 13pts and 5 rebs per game.
The Jake Nevin Award given to the Villanovan "whose selflessness provided an outstanding example to his teammates," was given to Maurice Sutton.
Croatian freshman guard Mislav Brzoja won The Alexander Severance Award. This award named for the former Villanova Head Coach "honors the Villanova Basketball player whose hard work and dedication in the classroom demonstrated a commitment to reaching his full potential."
The Paul Arizin Award for the most improved player over the past year was received by Junior James Bell.
Other honorees awards given...
- Alumni Appreciation Award recipient Malik Allen (class of 2000)
- Joseph Walters Special Recognition recipient Bill Gibson (class of 1966);
- Chris Dincuff Award- Student managers Steve Gazak
- Teresa and Joseph J. Martini Endowed Scholarship in honor of Randy Foye- Student Manager Julia Angelos
- Nova Nation Award recipients Dr. Frank Furman, Dr. Rob Good and Dr. Greg Narzikul.
During the banquet, former Villanova faculty member, Dr Hank Nichols was also honored. Nichols was inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame as a college referee last year.