With the new basketball season approaching we're going to take a minute to look at the new rules in effect for the 2008-09 Season.
2 or 3 will have possibly have a notable effect on the game [NCAA Rule Section] with our commentary in italics.
- 3-point line moved back from 19'9" to 20'9" (this is for Men only)The desired effect of this is to extend the game and open up the interior. -Some believe it will create more room for everyone to operate, post players and perimeter guys.
- Goal tending is called anytime after the ball hits the backboard (even "on the way up") [Goaltending 4-34.3] -This eliminates the judgment call by the refs on whether a ball is on the way up or down after it hits the backboard
- Creation of two categories of Technical Fouls;
Type A technical fouls are for unsportsmanlike conduct and will replace Direct Technical Fouls. Type B fouls deal with infractions of the rules that neither involves contact nor causes contact with opponent and fall below the limit of an unsportsmanlike act. Type B replaces Indirect Technical Fouls. If you were to score Type A technicals as 3 points and Type B level as 2 points then it will take 6 points or more (2 As, 3Bs or 1A&2Bs) to get ejected [Fouls & Penalties 10-3, 10-4] -This seems like a nightmare for scorekeepers.
All of the new rules can be found here. Here's a quick recap of other new rules.
- Restraining Lines on the court
- The refs' jurisdiction of the game ends when they leave the court
- Horn to be rung with 15 seconds to go when replacing a disqualified player
- Ability to wear arm, knee, leg sleeves if verified by medical personnel
- Logos on Unis and the Court