Last week we discussed what would be needed for Villanova to get a Double Bye in next week's Big East Tournament in New York City. With two games played since then, a better analysis can be seen...
The standings at the top of the Big East Conference currently look like this:
- Connecticut 15-2
- Louisville 14-2
- Pittsburgh 13-3
- Marquette 12-4
- Villanova 12-5
Marquette’s Remaining Games
@ Pitt- March 4
vs. Syracuse- March 7
Pitt’s Remaining Games
vs. Marquette- March 4
vs. Connecticut- March 7
With thanks to commenter a. and vusports here are the three scenarios that would lead to Villanova earning a Double Bye in next week's Big East Tournament in New York City...
- Villanova beats Providence AND Marquette loses at Pitt
- Two Marquette losses
- Villanova beats Providence AND Pitt losses twice
Those three options would cement a Villanova 4 Seed in the BET.
It is also for Villanova to earn a 3 Seed at Madison Square Garden, but the stars would have to align. All 3 of these would have to occur...
- Villanova beats Providence
- Marquette beats Pitt, but loses to Syracuse
- Pitt loses to Marquette and UConn
- Syracuse finishes 6th by beating Rutgers [and Marquette]
- West Virginia loses to DePaul or Louisville
In this scenario, Villanova, Pittsburgh, and Marquette would be 13-5. In that tiebreaker, games against Louisville (all 3 are 0-1) and UConn (VU and MU are 0-1, Pitt is 1-1) would be thrown out. And the first tiebreaker would be Syracuse where 'Nova is 2-0, Marquette is 0-1, and Pitt is 0-1.
Clear as mud?