Villanova puts its 24-6 season record on the line Thursday night as the Wildcats host Providence in the last game of the regular season.
#11 'Nova looks to improve on their 12-5 record in the Big East as the Friars (18-11, 10-7) are looking for key, late-season wins to lock up a spot in the NCAA Tournament.
A win by Villanova tonight will clinch the #4 seed in the Big East tournament which will give the Wildcats a Double Bye straight to the Quarterfinals.
The Friars are led by Weyinmi Efejuku who is scoring just a hair under 15ppg. Sharaud Curry, Marshon Brooks, and Jonathan Kale all average in the low double digits for scoring. 6'8" Senior Guard Forward Geoff McDermott is their leading rebounder.
Providence relies on its backcourt but their perimeter defense is suspect if the opposing team can hit their shots.
Head Coach Keno Davis usually starts PG Curry, Jeff Xavier, and Weyinmi Efejuku in the backcourt. Center Kale and Geoff McDermott anchor the low post positions.
Quick Game Notes
- Villanova's winning streak at The Pavilion is currently at 27 games. The Wildcats’ last loss at the on-campus arena was on January 7, 2007.
- Villanova is shooting for 25 regular season wins; a feat that has only been accomplished by the 1949-50 and 1950-51 teams coached by Al Severance.
- Villanova has won the last 5 games against Providence
- The Friars are making their first trip to The Pavilion since February 2005
- 'Nova leads the historical series 49-34
- Jay Wright is 8-4 against Providence