BleacherReport.com posted a reasonably insightful article today entitled "The Villanova Wildcats Are Ready to Pounce." However, their comments about Corey Fisher are a bit controversial. Here’s a brief synopsis:
- "A Final Four for the Villanova Wildcats last season was great, but their sights are set even higher coming into this season.
- Replacing their leading scorer in Dante Cunningham (16.1 ppg) and another vital player in Dwayne Anderson will be daunting.
- With plenty of experience in big games, and being able to score from anywhere on the court, Scottie Reynolds looks to take the reins and lead Nova back to the Final Four and beyond.
- Reggie Redding, who is suspended until Dec. 19 was projected to start at the third guard position opposite Reynolds and Corey Stokes. That spot could now be filled by Corey Fisher or one of the highly touted McDonalds All-Americans Maalik Wayns or Dominic Cheek. If I had to guess I would say it would be one of the Freshmen in Wayns or Cheek because Corey Fisher is too vital a player coming off the bench, seeing that he won the Big East Sixth Man of the Year last season.
- Antonio Pena needs to elevate his game and give them some muscle in the post and become a key cog in their rotation. The other starter at the forward position is going to be Taylor King, a transfer from Duke who is looking like a solid player after sitting out his mandatory year. King is going to be looked at to clean up on the boards but also to showcase his terrific shooting range that has been on display during practice and has impressed his teammates.
- Jay Wright is excited about his freshmen recruiting class stating, “Not one would surprise me if they had a great freshman year, they’re all that good.” The four freshmen are looking to add depth to a team that needs some quality scoring off the bench and some high energy guys to keep up the pressure on the defensive end. These four players look to be around for a full four seasons and should garner a copious amount of experience this season while helping Nova make a run at the top ranking and a run through the NCAA tournament.
- With their talent in Reynolds, Fisher, Stokes, and the numerous freshmen recruits, a preseason top five ranking, and the confidence from last years’ Final Four run, the rest of the nation better be ready because the Wildcats are on the hunt for a National Championship.”