Recently, I reached out to the highest level of the Villanova University administration: President Father Peter Donohue. The mission was to shed some light on the football upgrade decision -- to know the factors under consideration and shed some light on the decision-making process. What follows is the relevant portion of Father Donohue's reply:
The study is covering a range of areas. It was surprising to me how many factors are actually involved and one decision naturally impacts others. There is a massive amount of information that has been compiled and it would be difficult to share it with everyone. However, I assure that it is comprehensive. Some of the areas we are examining are the following:
- The implications of a move from FCS to FBS
- On our present Strategic Plan
- On our Academic programming and the ratio of Athletic spending to Academic spending
- The positive or negative effect on the question of National exposure
- What effect it might have on our Basketball program
- The need to upgrade playing and practice Facilities
- Financial issues:
- Our endowment in comparison to many who participate in the FBS
- The increased cost of salaries and personnel
- The necessary upgrade of women’s sports due to title IX requirements
- Potential expenditures and revenues
Finally the Risks/Rewards that such a move could bring to Villanova.
I have heard many varying opinions on the situation both pro and con. We are working our way through the process.
Thank you again.