(Updated 7/31) Ben Ijalana may have been the only Villanova Wildcat senior drafted by an NFL team in March, but he won't be the only one reporting to training camp this summer. Late Monday night, strong safety John Dempsey got the phone call he had been hoping for since the lockout denied him the honor in the spring.
The St. Louis Rams thought highly enough of Dempsey to offer the undrafted free agent a contract. He won't become an instant millionaire like Ijalana, but he might not be a pauper either. Undrafted free agent signings get signing bonuses that ranged from $0 to $23,000 in 2009, and will get paid a six-figure salary — the league minimum at $375,000 — if, and only if, they break camp as a member of the 52-man roster.
According to a source, offensive lineman Brant Clouser got a call on Wednesday, inviting him to try out for the New York Giants. The former left guard has good size at the guard position and will need to demonstrate his skill against NFL-caliber talent to earn a spot on the team.
Any player can change their mind until the ink is dry, but draft picks and undrafted rookies can sign starting today. Check back here for more information on Villanova Football-related signings as it arises.
Wildcats in the NFL -- Class of 2011:
- Benjamin Ijalana, OT, Indianapolis Colts (2nd Round) [Link]
- John Dempsey, SS, St. Louis Rams (UDFA) [Link]
- (Updated 7/27; 7/31) Brant Clouser, OG, N.Y. Giants (Try-out; UPDATE: UDFA) [Link]
- (Updated 7/31) Terrence Thomas, LB, Philadelphia Eagles (Try-out; UPDATE: UDFA) [Link]
- (Updated 7/31) Thomas Weaver, NG, Washington Redskins (UDFA)