One of the first things announced at any Big East media day are the preseason awards. Whether the predictions of the coaches actually pans out has been historically hit-or-miss, but it is always interesting to know who is expected to have a great season, and conversely, who is not. Without further adieu:
Pre-season Media Poll
- Syracuse (6 first place votes)
- UConn (8)
- Louisville (2)
- West Virginia
- Notre Dame
- St. John's
- Seton Hall
- South Florida
1. UConn (7)1. Syracuse (5)3. Louisville (3)4. Pittsburgh5. Cincy6. Marquette7. WVU8. Villanova9. Notre Dame10. Georgetown11. Rutgers12. St. Johns13. Seton Hall14. USF15. Providence16. DePaul
- Ashton Gibbs, Pittsburgh (POY)
- Jeremy Lamb, UConn
- Kris Joseph, Syracuse
- Tim Abromaitis, Notre Dame
- Darius Johnson-Odom, Marquette
- Joe Juliano called Jay Wright the "shadow AD" at Villanova. Jay didn't disagree.
- Jay on last year's offense: "he hopes they don't have to do that again."
- Jay Wright every time someone mentioned Temple: "We want in the Big East for Football!"
- Jay Wright: "After we get Villanova football in, we don't have any objections to any schools." When asked about TU
- Wright on Temple being blocked: "I feel bad that the media is being given information that is wrong. It is schools in the BE posturing..."