February 1 marks the beginning of the signing period for college football and most, if not all of Villanovas football recruits in the 2012 class signed a national letter of intent today. VUhoops.com had previously reported on 15 members of that class and a total of 17 recruits ultimately signed with one player already enrolled for the spring semester.
The class is heavy on defense with 4 linebackers, 4 defensive backs, and 2 defensive linemen. Two of the team's three 3-star recruits were linebackers while four of the six 2-star recruits were defensive players (one linebacker and three defensive backs).
On offense, the Wildcats added 4 offensive linemen, 3 running backs and 1 wide receiver.
- Austin Calitro (ILB, Danbury – 3 stars)*
- Tanoh Kpassagnon (DE, Wissahickon HS)*
- Don Cherry (LB, Trumbull, CT)*
Cameron McCurry (
LBDB, Fleming Island, FL - 2 stars)*
- Nico D’Angelo (OL, Holy Spirit – 2 stars)*
- T.J. White (LB, West Chester Henderson, PA – 2 stars)*
- Jonathan Green (OL, North Schuylkill - 2 stars)*
- Jake Prus (OL, Woodstown HS)*
- Bradley Seaton (OT, Brunswick, CT)*
- Javon White (RB, Souderton HS)*
- Shayne Jones (CB, Imaculata High School, NJ - 2 stars)*
- Aaron Wells (RB, River Hill HS - 2 stars)*
- Corey Majors (LB, Worcester – 3 stars)*
C.J. Logan (
QBDB, Northfield Mount Hermon, MA)*
- Michael Burke IV (WR, Columbia HS– 3 stars)*
- Patrick McGown (DL, Sierra Canyon School, CA)
- Gary Underwood (RB, Winton Woods, OH)*
- Marc Mauro (DB, Bayville, NY - 2 stars)*
Check out our Signing Day primer for more information.
- Today was the first we had heard of Don Cherry's commitment. He signed early this morning and may have actually been the first NLI received by Villanova.
- Cameron McCurry was a high school linebacker and most recruiting services listed him as one. Villanova called him a defensive back when they confirmed his signing, however, so we will list him as one until proven otherwise. He is on the small side to play linebacker anyway, so that move would make sense.
- Bradley Seaton submitted (and Villanova accepted) an NLI this morning, which means that he will be a scholarship athlete at Villanova. He is being listed at 6-8 and 280-pounds, which is very good size for the offensive line. He is athletic enough to play basketball in high school as well.
- It looks like Villanova will be listing C.J. Logan as a defensive back afterall.
- Patrick McGown is another surprise signing. Measuring in a 6-5 and 230-pounds, he recorded 17 sacks this fall for his Sierra Canyon team on their way to a 2011 State Title. He was a First-Team All-CIF and First-Team All-League selection.
- Villanova shut down signing day with a big surprise: Marc Mauro didn't sign, he enrolled in school for the spring semester. He was a mid-year transfer from Nassau Community College and will have Sophomore eligibility in the fall. That means that he will be able to get a head start with the program by participating in spring practices.
Corey Majors (and teammates) Signing