Jay Wright Quote
Great game and great win for us. I think you all can see how good they are. I’m just really proud… impressed with our guys in the past couple of games and how well they’ve played to come away with losses having played really well. Most young people would just feel sorry for themselves, but these guys just come to work every day, we had two hard practices with no day off… our guys came in and really played great defense… I’m just very proud of them.
- Villanova has won 4 out of 6 games against Top 25 teams. The two losses were on the road.
- Villanova beat the spread by 9 points- the 18th time this season.
- Nova is 4-0 when shooting better than 50% from Three.
- VU set a season high for steals with 15. But records no blocked shots.
- The Wildcats have notched more steals than their opponents and had fewer turnovers for six straight games
Against the AP Top 5
- 'Nova is 3-0 against teams ranked in the Top 5 this season.
- This is the second time in Villanova's history that they have won at least 3 games against the Top 5. 1984-85 was the other year.
- The Wildcats are 36-66 all time in games against a Top 5 squad.
- Villanova has beaten Top 5 opponents by 7.6 on average.
- JayVaughn Pinkston recorded a team season high in steals with five.
- He has been the leading scorer in 9 games this season.
- It was the 6th 20th point game in his Villanova career.
- JayVaughn has 9 consecutive duble-digit point games.
- Pinkston set a career high with 5 steals.
- Yarou 12 boards accounted for 46.1 percent of the team's total; the 14th time he's lead the team
- It was the 31st double-digit rebounding game of his career.
- He set a career high with 4 steals.
- Has 6 straight double-digit point games.
Dr. Dean Oliver, a former basketball player and coach at Cal Tech and author of the book, Basketball on Paper, maintains that only four statistics, eFG%, TO%, OR% and FT Rate, determine the outcome of most basketball games. Ed has built a model based on Dr. Oliver’s work that has correctly picked the winner of 29 of 31 (94%) of Villanova games this season, including the latest win over Georgetown.
The table below compares Villanova vs. Georgetown’s eFG%, TO%, OR% and FT Rate in Wednesday’s game. Georgetown did a significantly better job grabbing offensive rebounds and the teams were very close on eFG% (‘Nova had a 1.4% edge). However, Villanova did a considerably better job protecting the ball (‘Nova +9.5% advantage in TO%; Georgetown had a season high turnovers) and the Cats enjoyed an extraordinary advantage getting to the free throw line (FT Rate advantage: 107.5%). So it was really free throw shooting that won this one for the Cats (who scored 30 points from the free throw line vs.only 4 for the Hoyas).
Around the Interwebs
Giveaway: Georgetown Falls at Villanova, 67-57 [CasualHoya]
Rapid Reax: Villanova 67, Georgetown 57 [ESPN]
Villanova all but punches ticket to NCAA tournament with win over No. 5 Georgetown [NBCSports]
eorgetown loses, meaning those four No. 1 seeds are even more wide-open [NBCSports]
Villanova grabs tourney ticket, definitively [ESPN]
Bubble watch: Villanova sets positive tone for team on the edge [SportingNews]