Hey look, a new weekly segment! Every Thursday we’ll take a look back at that day in Villanova Basketball to remember the good times (and possibly not so good times). We’ll look at some numbers, opponents, highlight a game or two, and use this as a place for NovaNation to relive some of their favorite games. We’ve pulled games from the last 60+ years, all the way back to 1950, so there should be something for everyone. Let’s get to it!
Overall Record: 12-1, the only loss coming at home to Temple back in 1990.
Most Frequent Opponent: Penn, St. Joe’s, and Temple (all twice). Early December is Big 5 season.
Most Interesting Opponent: Alaska-Anchorage, the 1985 defending national champs took down the host school of The Great Alaska Shootout tournament 71-52.
Highlighted Game: Let’s go all the way back to 2015, when Villanova dismantled St. Joe’s on Hawk Hill 86-72 en route to the National Championship. They’ll look to do the same this weekend when they host their rival for the “Holy War.”
Villanova’s December 1st Games Since 1950
- 2015, @ St. Joe’s, W, 86-72
- 2012, @ Vanderbilt, W, 62-52
- 2007, vs Penn, W, 87-61
- 2001, vs Bucknell, W, 69-45
- 1998, vs St. Joe’s, W, 61-49
- 1996, vs Tulane (neutral), W, 85-70
- 1993, vs American, W, 94-62
- 1990, vs Temple, L, 57-70
- 1987, vs Penn, W, 84-55
- 1985, @ Alaska-Anchorage, W, 71-52
- 1984, vs Temple (neutral), W, 68-65
- 1981, @ St. Francis (NY), W, 93-63
- 1973, vs Richmond, W, 71-58
So what was your favorite game on December 1st?