Every Thursday we’ll take a look back at that day in Villanova Basketball to remember the good times (and possibly not so good times). We’ll look at some numbers, opponents, highlight a game or two, and use this as a place for Nova Nation to relive some of their favorite games. We’ve pulled games from the last 60+ years, all the way back to 1950, so there should be something for everyone. Let’s get to it!
VUHoops #TBT for December 22nd
Overall Record: 26-6, and it’s an even more impressive 16-1 since 1994. This is just one of the many luxuries afforded to a program with the pedigree that Villanova has. Because they can get big name opponents on our non-conference schedule, they can schedule these “cupcake” games around finals and the holidays. Sure, we’d all love to see some stiffer competition, but I’ll still take the W’s. Their only ranked opponent is next on our list, and unfortunately it was a loss.
Most Frequent Opponent: La Salle (2-3). The Cat’s have played their Big 5 rival five times on the 22nd, and half of their losses on this day have come at the hands of the Explorers. That includes a bitter 70-71 loss at Convention Hall in ‘89 when La Salle was ranked #23 in the country. However, the last time the two faced on the 22nd was a 41 point victory for Villanova at the Wells Fargo Center in 2005.
Most Intriguing Opponent: Florida in 1993 (L, 77-85). While they weren’t ranked when they traveled north to face the Wildcats, the 93-94 Gators would end up going to the Final Four for the first time in school history. They were lead by the ‘94 coach of the year, Lon Kruger, and eventually lost to Duke in the Final Four. As many of you remember, it would not be Kruger’s last Final Four loss.
Highlighted Game: Delaware in 2015 (W, 78-48). Sure, it wasn’t any kind of big time opponent, but this one needs some context. The Delaware game came right after Villanova had just lost 2 of their last 3, the losses coming to Oklahoma and Virginia. Sure, it’s a highlight film, but this is the game where you start to see that Championship team coming together. It’s especially evident on the defensive end, where Nova held their opponent to under 50 points. Without the video below, you don’t get the video above.
Villanova’s Dec. 22nd Games since 1950
- 2015, vs Delaware, W, 78-48
- 2012, @ Monmouth, W, 83-56
- 2011, vs American, W, 73-52
- 2010, @ Monmouth, W, 76-36
- 2008, vs Navy, W, 78-68
- 2007, vs Columbia, W, 72-56
- 2005, vs La Salle, W, 98-57
- 2004, vs Albany (NY), W, 86-72
- 2003, vs Columbia, W, 74-66
- 2002, @ Dayton, L, 78-80
- 2001, vs Virginia Military Institute, W, 104-91
- 2000, vs Fairleigh Dickinson, W, 85-63
- 1999, vs South Carolina State, W, 77-71
- 1998, vs Rider, W, 86-73
- 1997, vs Florida International, W, 103-73
- 1995, @ New Orleans, W, 80-72
- 1994, vs Richmond, W, 101-70
- 1993, vs Florida, L, 77-85
- 1992, vs Vermont, W, 89-44
- 1990, vs La Salle, L, 94-102
- 1989, @ #23 La Salle, L, 70-71
- 1988, vs La Salle, L, 74-79
- 1984, @ La Salle, W, 80-63
- 1983, vs Samford (neutral), W, 69-55
- 1982, vs Seton Hall (neutral), W, 78-68
- 1979, @ Rutgers, W, 81-70
- 1977, vs Duquesne, W, 86-70
- 1972, @ Detroit Mercy, W, 54-41
- 1971, vs Rider, W, 75-70
- 1965, vs Penn (neutral), L, 60-73
- 1964, @ Saint Francis (PA), W, 101-58
- 1962, @ Saint Francis (PA), W, 89-77
So what was your favorite game on December 22nd?