Every Thursday we’ll take a look back at that day in Villanova Basketball to remember the good times (and possibly not so good times). We’ll look at some numbers, opponents, highlight a game or two, and use this as a place for Nova Nation to relive some of their favorite games. We’ve pulled games from the last 60+ years, all the way back to 1950, so there should be something for everyone. Let’s get to it!
Villanova Basketball #TBT for December 29th
Overall Record: 15-15, with a 3-4 record against ranked opponents. A 50% winning record isn’t anything to brag about, but it looks a lot better when you take into consideration that only 7 of those 30 games were played at home. With the students off for winter break, the team has traditionally used this week to hit the road, where it’s always more difficult to win.
Most Frequent Opponent: Temple (2-0), St. John’s (0-2), and Hawaii (1-1) twice. That’s right, twice the Cats have flown out to the pacific to escape the winter weather. They’ve actually spread out their opponents pretty well on this day, playing 27 different schools from 19 different states including Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Utah.
Most Intriguing Opponent: #9 Syracuse in 1979 (L, 84-92). Villanova was still a member of the ECBL (or Eastern 8), but its first game against a member of the Big East was Syracuse during the 1979 Kodak Classic Tournament in Rochester, NY. Nova would actually play four members of the inaugural Big East that season, going 2-2 before joining the conference the following year.
Highlighted Game: Temple in 2008 (W, 62-45). Honestly, there’s not a lot of footage from this date out there to find. The Cats have only played on the 29th twice in the Jay Wright era, so instead here’s a season highlight real from 2008. Sure, there’s only 2 seconds of the Temple game (0:35 for a monster block by Cunningham), but it’s a fun look back on some familiar faces and one of the best comebacks in school history.
Villanova’s Dec. 29th Games since 1950
- 2008, vs Temple, W, 62-45
- 2007, vs La Salle, W, 71-58
- 1999, (N) Bradley, W, 63-62 in OT
- 1993, @ Arizona State, L, 62-73
- 1991, @ Hawaii, L, 79-86
- 1988, (N) #10 Florida State, W, 68-67
- 1987, (N) Auburn, L, 64-65
- 1986, (N) South Carolina, W, 69-59
- 1985, @ Hawaii, W, 76-61
- 1984, (N) Georgia, L, 68-75
- 1982, (N) #19 Tulsa, W, 75-68
- 1981, (N) St. John’s (NY), L, 89-94
- 1980, @ Texas-El Paso, W, 43-41
- 1979, (N) #9 Syracuse, L, 84-92
- 1978, @ Toledo, W, 55-50
- 1977, @ Oregon State, L, 57-58 in OT
- 1975, (N) Temple, W, 84-75
- 1969, vs Columbia, L, 64-76
- 1967, vs Arizona, W, 75-59
- 1964, vs #6 Illinois, L, 65-74
- 1962, vs Providence, L, 59-78
- 1960, @ #10 North Carolina State, W, 72-63
- 1956, (N) Niagara, L, 76-99
- 1955, (N) #4 North Carolina, L, 63-86
- 1954, @ St. John’s (NY), L, 77-89
- 1953, (N) Murray State, W, 74-65
- 1952, (N) #8 Louisiana State, L, 94-100
- 1951, (N) BYU, W, 72-58
- 1950, vs Tennessee, W, 91-72
- 1949, (N) Kentucky, L, 56-57 in OT
So what was your favorite game on December 29th?