Villanova has their Round of 64 matchup set for Friday against the UNC-Asheville Bulldogs. Want to know about the basketball team and what to expect when at 12:40p? Read the Scouting Report. Want to learn random, esoteric bits of trivia to impress your friends? Read on...
Maybe you're familiar with the University of North Carolina at Asheville, maybe you're not, but here's our introduction.
- Population: 425k in the Asheville metro area
- Average Income: $54,943 in the metro area
- Founded: 1927
- Motto: Levo Oculos Meos In Montes (I lift my eyes to the mountains)
- Undergrads: 3,663
- The Princeton Review ranked the university number one in its listing of "Best Schools for Making an Impact"
- "Famous Alumni" are listed here and includes Jason Faunt, who you know better as the Red Time Force Ranger.
"UNC Asheville’s Intercollegiate Athletic Program reflects the attitudes and values underlying the University’s overall goals of academic excellence, diversity, equity, integrity, service, and accomplishment. Accordingly, the athletics program encourages an atmosphere of respect for self and others through the development of ethical conduct, sportsmanship, leadership, and citizenship and provides equitable opportunities."
- Nickname: The Bulldogs
- Colors: Blue & White
- Conference: Big South
- Home Venue: Kimmel Arena is a 3,200-seat on campus arena
- UNCA became a Division 1 school in 1986
- The tallest player in NCAA Tournament History was UNC-A's Kenny George at 7'7".
- This is the Bulldogs 4th trip to the NCAAs. They won their First Round games over Texas Southern in 2003 and Arkansas-Little Rock (2011), and have lost to Texas (2003), Pittsburgh (2011) and Syracuse (2012).