Every Thursday we’ll take a look back at that day in Villanova Basketball to remember the good times (and possibly not so good times). We’ll look at some numbers, opponents, highlight a game or two, and use this as a place for Nova Nation to relive some of their favorite games. We’ve pulled games from the last 60+ years, all the way back to 1950, so there should be something for everyone. Let’s get to it!
VUHoops #TBT for January 5th
Overall Record: 9-10, not the best way to start the new year. But when facing a ranked opponent, the Wildcats are an astounding 4-1, with two of those W’s coming on the road (see below for more details). Villanova always seems to come out for the big games, and a winning record against ranked teams is something few teams can boast.
Most Frequent Opponent: Syracuse (1-1). In both of these match ups, Syracuse was ranked. The W came in a 10 point victory at the Carrier Dome against #3 Syracuse back in 1991. In fact later that year Nova would again top Syracuse, the top seed in the Big East Tournament, coming back from a second half 16 point deficit to win by 2. Man, it’s great to beat the Orange.
Most Intriguing Opponent: #23 West Virginia in 2005 (W, 84-46). Yes, you read that correctly, 84-46. Villanova just blew the doors off this one as they declared themselves a national contender. It’s not often you can beat any ranked team by 38, but this was one of Jay Wright’s best player cores ever.
Highlighted Game: At #8 Louisville in 2006 (W, 76-67). This game gave Jay Wright his first 10-0 start to a season as a head coach, and it came in dominating fashion. The Wildcats were ranked #3 in the country, led by Randy Foye, Allan Ray, and Kyle Lowry. Foye led all scorers with 24 points, Ray had17, and Jason Fraser shot a perfect 6-6 from the field to add 13. The Wildcats led this one from start to finish against Pitino’s Cardinals, and easily remained undefeated on the season.
Villanova’s January 5th Games Since 1950
- 2014, vs Providence, W, 91-61
- 2012, vs South Florida, L, 57-74
- 2006, @ #8 Louisville, W, 76-67
- 2005, vs #23 West Virginia, W, 84-46
- 2003, @ Memphis, L, 68-72
- 1999, vs #20 Syracuse, L, 52-74
- 1993, @ Boston College, L, 64-67
- 1991, @ #3 Syracuse, W, 76-66
- 1985, vs UConn, W, 70-59
- 1980, @ St. Peter’s, W, 51-50
- 1977, vs #8 Notre Dame, W, 64-62
- 1976, @ Niagara, L, 52-61
- 1974, (N) Canisius, L, 99-127
- 1970, @ Detroit Mercy, W, 87-78
- 1966, (N) Temple, L, 56-57
- 1957, @ St. Bonaventure, L, 69-85
- 1955, @ Richmond, L, 82-92
- 1953, vs Princeton, W, 72-65
- 1952, vs Fordham, L, 66-71
What was your favorite game on January 5th?