The $60m renovation for The Pavilion, home of the Villanova Wildcats, has been approved by the University Board of Trustees according to an email sent by Athletic Director Mark Jackson.
Work will begin on the project in the Summer of 2017 with a plan to be finished for the start of the 2018-19 season. The Athletic Department noted that they included the architecture firm EwingCole, who worked on the Davis Center renovation, in on the renovation plans.
During the 2017-18 season, the Wildcats will play at the Wells Fargo Center.
According to the University, The Finneran Pavilion will:
- Provide an even stronger home-court advantage for our elite men’s and women’s basketball programs
- Strengthen Villanova’s ability to recruit and train the nation’s best and brightest student-athletes
- Enhance the fan experience through improved seating, amenities and operations, and provide various club and premium seating options
- Celebrate Villanova basketball’s storied history
- Help support all of Villanova Athletics’ 24 varsity programs
- Create a “best-in-class” atmosphere to support various campus activities including commencement ceremonies and other University-wide events
Upon the renovation’s completion, the building will be renamed the Finneran Pavilion in honor of William B. Finneran ('63, VSB) who made a $22.6 million donation to the effort in April 2016.
In a letter to Villanova Season Ticket Holders and Athletic Fund members, Jackson noted, “The new Finneran Pavilion will provide an even stronger home-court advantage, enhance our ability to recruit and train the nation’s best and brightest student-athletes, help support all of our 24 varsity programs, and deliver a first-class, game-day atmosphere for the best fans in college sports. This is truly a community effort that will benefit generations of Villanova fans.”
Villanova’s Athletic Department set up a website as an information hub for the project at FinneranPavilion.com. There, Wildcat fans can sign up for “Insider” information and learn about the University’s plans and FAQs.