Happy Friday Nova Nation! Villanova is currently on a record 24 game winning streak in the Big 5, and they’ll have an opportunity to extend that to 25 games tomorrow against St. Joe’s. The streak is now 10 games longer then the second longest winning streak in Big 5 history, which also belongs to Villanova (14, 2005-07).
Villanova has had a number of great winning streaks in their storied history. Their longest streak came in 2014-15 when they won 16 consecutive games. That included a school record 12 game winning streak in the Big East, and was part of Nova’s 48 game winning streak at the Pavilion from 2013-17. By far the most impressive streak was the Wildcats 72 consecutive home victories from 1947 to 1958. But last night I got curious as to which schools Nova had the best winning streaks against.
Below are the five schools that Villanova had or has at least a 15 game winning streak against. For extra fun, I’ll keep their names blank and put the answers below. Bonus points if you can guess them without using the hints. Oh, and if this guessing game isn’t your style, enjoy the approximately one million links below. Have a great weekend everyone!
Villanova’s 5 Longest Win Streaks Against Opponents
Team #1, 17 games, 1924-2004
- Villanova is 18-1 all-time against this school, with their lone loss coming at home in 2006.
- This school is a part of Villanova’s football conference, the CAA.
- Villanova’s most recent game against this school didn’t count, as it was an exhibition to raise money for hurricane relief.
Team #2, 17 games, 1945-Today
- Villanova is 24-1 all-time against this school, with their lone loss coming back in 1944.
- This is Villanova’s longest active winning streak against another school, but they haven’t played since the 2013-14 season.
- While this school hasn’t beaten Jay Wright, they’ve been beating up on Baker Dunleavy at Quinnipiac as members of the MAAC, going 2-0 against him last season.
Team #3, 16 games, 1924-1974
- Villanova is 17-2 all-time against this DII school.
- The Wildcats went just 1-2 against this Textile school the last three times they played.
- The second half of this streak came against one of the handful of college basketball coaches with over 1,000 career wins.
Team #4, 16 games, 2008-Today
- Villanova is 26-8 all-time against this school.
- The streak almost ended in 2016 when the Wildcats eeked out a three point victory at home.
- This is Villanova’s all-time longest winning streak against a Big East opponent.
Team #5, 15 games, 2003-Today
- Villanova is 47-17 all-time against this school.
- Only twice during this streak has Villanova won by single digits.
- This is Villanova’s all-time longest winning streak against a Big 5 opponent.
In other “news”, Jermaine Samuels earned his breakout game with defense, will Jahvon Quinerly’s playing time effect recruiting, and it’s time for another Holy War. Enjoy!
Villanova Beats Temple
Villanova’s Jermaine Samuels hears it from the crowd — he earned it | The Inquirer
The sophomore wing might have saved the Wildcats from an upset loss to Temple.
Villanova survives a poor shooting night, rallies past Temple | The Inquirer
The 21st-ranked Wildcats, getting a major contribution from reserve forward Jermaine Samuels, roared from behind with a 12-0 run late in the second half.
3 things we learned in Temple’s 69-59 loss to Villanova | PHILLY SPORTS NETWORK
For the sixth season in a row, Temple basketball fell short against Jay Wright and the Villanova Wildcats, this time losing 69-59.
Samuels' 3s lead No. 21 Villanova past Temple 69-59 | phillytrib.com
VILLANOVA, Pa. — Jermaine Samuels hit a pair of 3s that kept Villanova close and one that gave it the lead for good.
Samuels saves Villanova as Big 5 streak reaches 24 wins | Metro
The Villanova Wildcats needed a career-game from Jermaine Samuels to help them secure a win over Temple on Wednesday night.
Samuels Stands Out as 'Cats Beat Temple | villanovan.com
The Villanova Wildcats squared off against the Temple Owls on Wednesday night as unlikely heroes emerged for the Cats, helping the team win 69-59.
Villanova Future Opponents
Jared Bynum not considered a freshman by Saint Joseph’s | The Inquirer
The first-year point guard is starting and thriving for the Hawks. "The sky is really the limit for him,” one teammate says.
From Hawk Talk: The latest on Udoka Azubuike's injured ankle | 247 Sports
Azubuike is out indefinitely with a right ankle sprain.
Dan Hurley is talking about the NCAA Tournament, a win over Florida State would go a long way for the UConn men - Hartford Courant
After Wednesday's victory over Lafayette, UConn coach Dan Hurley talked to his team about two things — beating Florida State and making the NCAA Tournament.
Villanova Basketball Recruiting
GOAZCATS.com | Three-Point Stance: Mid-year enrollment, Pac-12, Villanova
JAHVON QUINERLY’S IMPACT ON VILLANOVA RECRUITING.
Five boys basketball teams to watch - Sports - The Intelligencer | Doylestown, PA
As part of the 2018 Intelligencer high school boys basketball preview, we look at five promising local teams.
Top 5 Recruiting Stories At City of Palms: Carey Jr., Watford, & Cockburn | Flo Hoops
The City of Palms features some of the nation's top high schoolers — some committed, some not. Here's what to watch out for.
Lakers News: Josh Hart Doesn't Feel Need To 'Prove' Himself, Hopes To Receive More Opportunities In Clutch Moments | Lakers Nation
Josh Hart discussed the Los Angeles Lakers young core being able to play a key role in games and his desire to be put in clutch spots.
Raptors news: Masai Ujiri claims he didn't wrong Kyle Lowry | Clutch Points
Toronto Raptors dime wizard Kyle Lowry was frosty cold in his response to ESPN's Rachel Nichols when asked of his relationship with president of...
Ranking The Top 25 Best Sophomores In The NBA | Fadeaway World
Josh Hart comes in at #11.
Other Villanova and College Basketball
Big East Basketball Rankings: Is Villanova still on top after shaky start? | Busting Brackets
Big East basketball has had an...interesting start to this season. Let's see where each team falls in our first power rankings of the 2018-19 campaign.
College basketball: When will Kansas, Gonzaga and more lose? | SI.com
From Gonzaga to Furman, there are only 11 remaining unbeaten teams left in college basketball. Everyone has to lose sometime ... right?
Beilein calls 'hook and hold' rule absurd; referee weighs in | MLive.com
Michigan's Jon Teske was called for a flagrant foul while going for a rebound.