Happy Hump Day Nova Nation! So unless you’re playing hockey, this isn’t the year to face Philadelphia in the post-season. The fact that the National Champion Villanova Wildcats were in the house as the 76ers closed out their series against Miami was just the cherry on top. That’s just one of a number of eclectic and interesting links we have for you this morning.
But our featured story of the day is Andy Katz’s podcast in which he interviews Head Coach Jay Wright. It’s always great to hear from the man himself and Jay gave us a lot of good sound bites in this one. Like the true professional he is, Mr. Katz asked a lot of the questions Nova Nation has wanted answers to. Here’s a quick preview of what you’ll hear:
- Jay shares his thoughts on the 2018 season and their path to the National Championship.
- Coach thinks DiVincenzo and Spellman should “test the waters” in the NBA Draft, but if they don’t get a 1st round guarantee he’d encourage them to return to school.
- Villanova “might” look at grad transfers and available members of the class of 2018 if DiVincenzo and Spellman were to go to the NBA.
- Regardless of if DiVincenzo and Spellman return, next year’s squad should have great leadership paired with unproven talent. They may struggle early, but they could be truly great by the end of the year.
- Wright tells the story of his meeting with the Pope (trust me, it’s great!)
- Jay hopes the NBA can help create an “authenticity” in college basketball.
- Villanova is working out schedules with the White House. (“Scheduling” was the reason North Carolina didn’t meet with the President last season)
- Wright feels “uncomfortable” talking about being a multi-championship head coach. He’d rather focus on grinding towards the next one.
In other “news”, more NBA Draft coverage, a few thoughts on the 2018-19 season, the Big East is crushing it with transfers, and what “significant changes” are coming to NCAA Basketball. Enjoy!
March Madness 365 podcast: Villanova's Jay Wright, Michigan's John Beilein talk replacing role players, taking no days off | NCAA.com
Jay Wright, who was on this week’s NCAA.com podcast March Madness 365 along with national title game opposing coach Michigan’s John Beilein, said the coaching staff is helping them prepare for the draft.
Villanova basketball team snaps photo with Meek Mill prior to 76ers game | NBC Sports
Meek Mill was released from jail Tuesday due to a Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruling.
2018 NBA Draft Big Board: Top 100 Prospects As Lottery Nears | SI.com
The official group of NBA draft eligible prospects is locked in and the lottery is on the horizon. Here is The Front Office's Top 100 big board.
2018 NBA draft withdrawal deadline: Colleges with most to lose | SI.com
As many of college basketball's best players size up their pro prospects, their schools’ 2018–19 outlooks hang in the balance.
Way-Too-Early Top 25 rankings after NBA draft early entry deadline | ESPN
The deadline for early entrants to declare for the NBA draft has passed, so it's time to re-evaluate the early top 25 for 2018-19. With so many players testing the waters yet not signing with an agent, it's more art than science.
Top 10 Villanova Sports Moments of the Year | Villanovan.com
It's been a great school year for the Villanova Wildcats.
Big East Basketball dominating the transfer market | Busting Brackets
With so many transfers out on the market, teams are looking to grab as many talented ones as possible. Big East Basketball so far has been cleaning up.
NCAA basketball: What to expect from reform committee seeking to clean up sport | SBNation.com
The week of "significant change" for college basketball has arrived.
The high cost of chasing college basketball scholarships | The Undefeated
Two parents debate the hustle, grind and desperation of trying to send their kids 'D-Free'.