Welcome Nova Nation to the third annual VUHoops Summer Tournament! Every July(ish) we help get you through the middle of the offseason with a full 64 team NCAA Tournament style bracket in which you vote on the winners. In the past we’ve done your favorite player (Ryan Arcidiacono) and your favorite class (Class of 2016), but now we’re going to mix things up a bit. More specifically, you are.
For our 2018 Summer Tournament, VUHoops is putting together a 3 on 3 contest of All-Time Villanova greats. That’s three players and a sub from any team or any era of Villanova basketball. And instead of us trying to pick who the best teams are, we’re letting you submit your favorite teams. Here’s how it works.
How To Submit A Team
The first step is to follow this link to the Villanova 3 on 3 Summer Tournament Submissions page. There you’ll find instructions on how to make your picks and a suggested list of some of the greatest players in Wildcat history. Don’t worry, if a player you want isn’t listed you can always write them in. You can submit as many teams as you’d like, and the more submissions a specific team gets the higher their seed will be. Here are a few basic rules and suggestions to keep in mind when picking a team:
- When you pick a player, you’re picking their entire Villanova career. That means you can’t have four Josh Harts from each season he played at Nova! Each player can only be on a single team once.
- One player can end up being on multiple teams in the tournament, but no two teams will have the same four players. So if you’re a die-hard Phil Booth fan, be sure to put him on all of your team submissions!
- In case you’re wondering, the list of suggested players came from Villanova’s “All-Time” lists. That means these are the players that have accomplished at least one of the following during their Wildcat career: 1,000 points, 500 rebounds, 200 assists, 100 steals, or 50 blocks.
- For some of the more obscure write in candidates, please be sure a quick google search will prove they were on the team. If we can’t verify that your Uncle Rob played for Nova 60 years ago, then we can’t add him to the tournament.
- You can submit the same team as many times as you’d like. The more submissions a team gets, the more likely they’ll be to get into the tournament and the higher their seed will be. Submissions will be accepted until midnight on Friday, so feel free to add and re-submit as many teams as you’d like.
- You can also suggest a team name for your submissions. Each team that makes the tournament field will get a team name, and if we like yours the best that’s what we’ll go with!
We’ll be collecting submissions all week. Then over the weekend we’ll figure out who’s in, sort out the seeding, and reveal the final bracket on Monday. After that, the tournament will run for the rest of the month, and we’ll crown a Champion on the final day of July.
Thanks in advance to everyone for participating and submitting as many teams as you’d like. Get creative too! An all transfer team, sure! A team of all players named Chris, that works! It’s all up to you. I’ll try to answer any questions as best I can in the comments below, but otherwise I look forward to putting together another bracket. Best of luck to everyone!