Happy Wednesday Nova Nation! What a game! Hate to lose, but that sure as heck is the kind of intensity you have to love about Big East basketball. As I tried to think about what to focus on this morning, I decided there were just too many thoughts on this game to narrow it down. So please enjoy my shotgun approach of random ideas, thoughts, and takeaways from last night’s game:
- I don’t leave that game with any additional worries about this team I didn’t already have going into it. Take away that crowd or change just one play and it’s a victory. Moving on.
- The loss takes Nova out of the driver’s seat for the Big East Regular Season Title. They’ll need either Xavier or Creighton to win at the Dunk this week to put the title back on the line for next week’s Providence game.
- The first tech on Hurley was enforceable. The second tech on Hurley was bogus. Which leads me to this...
- This was the fourth time this season Villanova’s had to suffer through a James Breeding game. Please let that be the last.
- No problem with the court storming, but did find it hilarious that they failed to cover (UConn -2.5) AND stormed the court. Curious if that’s ever happened before. That said, completely get the joy of the experience and the environment. To those who say act like you’ve been there... you probably weren’t there, and the kids on the court haven’t been there.
- I kept hearing UConn fans say “we’re back”. I get the happiness around a win like that. Makes me think of some of the epic regular season wins Nova had over Syracuse in the mid-2010’s. But does that make you “back”. Define back please. If it means able to compete with the best teams in the conference, absolutely. But in my eyes UConn has to win a Regular Season Title or the BET before we start saying they’re “back”. That’s the UConn I remember.
- The long term silver lining here is that one fewer Quad 1 win may keep Villanova off the 2 line but in the East Region as a 3 seed. To me, that’s the ideal situation.
- This week off couldn’t come at a better time. Rest up gentlemen.
In other news...
UConn defeats Villanova
No. 8 Villanova Upset by No. 21 UConn Behind Adama Sanogo's 20-Point Performance | Bleacher Report
The No. 21 UConn men's basketball team made a statement Tuesday with a 71-69 upset-win over No. 8 Villanova at home. Adama Sanogo led the way with 20 points as...
Cole rallies No. 21 UConn past No. 8 Villanova late | AP News
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — R.J. Cole hit a driving floater with 5.9 seconds left and then took a charge at the other end of the court to rally No. 21 UConn to a 71-69 win over No. 8 Villanova on Tuesday night.
UConn's Dan Hurley ejected after pumping up crowd vs. Villanova | Yahoo! News
Dan Hurley picked up his second technical foul after turning to pump up the UConn crowd on Tuesday night.
UConn’s Danny Hurley drew the softest ejection of the college basketball season | SBNation.com
College refs must be stopped.
Villanova Men’s Basketball
Eric Dixon is providing Villanova with quality minutes in middle | Courier Times
After redshirting and a limited role last season, ex-Abington star Eric Dixon has solidified the center position for Villanova as third-year sophomore
Villanova Women’s Basketball
STRONG SECOND HALF LEADS WILDCATS PAST HOYAS | Villanova University
WASHINGTON, DC – In women's basketball action on Tuesday evening, the Villanova Wildcats traveled to Washington, D.C., where they registered a 73-61 win over the
LeBron James and Adam Sandler to co-produce a basketball movie, starring the likes of Sandler, Kyle Lowry, and Anthony Edwards | Sportskeeda
With the release of another one of his films in June this year, LeBron James’ pursuits outside of the NBA continue to grow.
NBA awards betting: Bettors love Joel Embiid for MVP, Mikal Bridges for DPOY | Yahoo! Sports
More and more bettors are backing Joel Embiid for NBA Most Valuable Player.
Men’s Lacrosse Announces Upgraded Fan Experience for 2022 Season | Villanova University
Villanova, Pa- Several fan experience upgrades and new amenities at Villanova Stadium were announced this week as the first home men's lacrosse game of the 2022
Villanova Hosts George Washington on Wednesday Afternoon | Villanova University
The Villanova Wildcats will host the George Washington Colonials on Wednesday at Villanova Stadium. Villanova enters the contest 0-3, while GW sits at 0-1 on the
Field Hockey Earns 2021 Division I National Academic Team Award | Villanova University
BROCKPORT, N.Y. — The National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA) is proud to announce that 79 Division I programs have earned the 2021 NFHCA Division I National
2022 Big East Fan Guide: Can The Villanova Women Make It 9 In A Row? | Swim Swam
Villanova's Kelly Montesi will again be a crucial factor for the Wildcats as they seek a ninth-straight Big East title in Long Island.