Congratulations to QB John Robertson on being named CAA Offensive Player of Week & LB Don Cherry on being named CAA Defensive Player of the Week! #CAAFB #TapTheRock
John Robertson passed for four touchdowns for the third straight week and got back on-track in the running game with 58 yards on the ground in Maine on Saturday. The Wildcats' Walter Payton Award-candidate completed 64% of his passes for 285 yards against a Maine defense that had been spectacular against the pass earlier in the season.
Linebacker Don Cherry sacked the Maine quarterback three times -- a career best -- and had 12 total tackles on the road-trip, along with 5.5 tackles-for-loss. The linebacker continued a streak of spectacular play for the Wildcats this week, making big plays (including a forced fumble and pass breakup) and generally getting to the ball when necessary.
Cherry was also named the National Co-Defensive Player of the Week by the Sports Network.
These Wildcats took home the weekly CAA Football Conference awards for offensive and defensive player of the week, respectively. The full list of Week 6 Awards follows:
Offensive Player of the Week
John Robertson | QB | Villanova
· Finished 16-of-25 for 285 yards and 4 touchdowns in Villanova's win at Maine.
· Also gained 58 yards on 17 rushing attempts.
· The performance marked his 3rd-straight game with 4 touchdown passes.
Defensive Player of the Week
Don Cherry | LB | Villanova
· Posted game-high 12 tackles for Villanova against Maine, including a career-high 5.5 tackles-for-loss.
· Also tied his career best with 3 sacks.
· Added a forced fumble and a pass breakup in the contest.
Special Teams Player of the Week
Eric Enderson | P | Delaware
· Punted 7 times for an average of 46.9 yards against Sacred Heart.
· The average marked the 9th-best single-game performance in UD history.
· Pinned 3 punts inside the Sacred Heart 20 yard line.
Co-Rookie of the Week
Donald Goodrich | RB | New Hampshire
· Recorded a team-high 54 rushing yards on 10 carries, including a touchdown in UNH's win at Elon.
· Caught three passes for 55 yards.
· His 10 rushes, 54 rushing yards, 3 receptions and 55 receiving yards each marked career bests.
Co-Rookie of the Week
Josh Gontarek | WR | UAlbany
· Led UAlbany with 6 receptions for 81 yards against James Madison.
· Hauled in touchdowns of 16 yards and 13 yards for the Great Danes.
· He leads UAlbany this season in receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns.