It's been a few days now, but both Villanova teams are still undefeated. Each team is at 5-0, a great opening month for the school. Since last posting, dozens of teams have taken their first L of the year, and others have improved on their record. Here's some updates on who is still unbeaten:
- 32 men's teams (including three Big East teams in Creighton, Butler, and Villanova)
- 36 women's teams (Villanova is the only women's teams)
- 9 schools have both men's/women's teams undefeated (including Villanova)
- Just 4 have more wins than Villanova's 10 (UConn, Syracuse, Oklahoma State, Missouri)
A few relative no-names still remain perfect, such as Albany, Eastern Michigan, Toledo, Montana, and George Washington. But the majority of the remaining teams are high-quality schools from power conferences. It's been very encouraging to see us battle through some games where the 3-pointers weren't falling, and to fight past teams who shoot well against us. If you told me that we would be 5-0 with four double-digit wins under our belt on Thanksgiving, I would be very happy.
Now a bigger issue at hand is the rest of the holiday tournaments. The women's team opens the FIU Thanksgiving Classic tonight at 8:00 against 3-1 Montana State, in a winnable but not gimme game. The tougher matchup is clearly the men's game against Kansas at 9:30. Wiggins & Co. are also undefeated, creating one of a few games with both teams having won every time this year.
Here's a look at some games to check out while you're not Black Friday shopping:
- No. 5 Oklahoma State vs. Butler. In the Old Spice Classic, a top-5 opponent awaits the Bulldogs, who have managed to reach 5-0 without their star.
- Pacific vs. No. 14 Oregon. Two 4-0 teams square off in the Global Sports Challenge. The Ducks will get their suspended players back soon.
- No. 6 Duke vs. No. 4 Arizona. Watch this game. Please, just watch this game.
More from VU Hoops