Today, the Villanova Wildcats athletic departments launched Nova Points, complete with the introductory video from Mark Jackson and Jay Wright that is embedded at the top.
Nova Points will be the loyalty program that dictates seating priority for men’s basketball (and possibly other things, I suppose) in the future.
Here’s the complete rundown of the program, but I’ve summarized the key things below:
As a Villanova Athletic Fund member, you will receive (and have received for prior contributions) points for the following:
- 3 points for every $100 given to Villanova Athletics
- 2 points for every $100 given to Villanova (non-Athletic)
- 1 point for every $100 in University-deferred giving
There will also be one-time allocations for the following:
- 30 points per year that you’ve been a men’s basketball season ticket holder (with an annual donation) since the 1990-91 season.
- 10 points each per year that you’ve been a women’s basketball and/or football season ticket holder since 2007-08
- 10 points per year that you’ve been a men’s lacrosse season ticket holder since 2012-13
- 10 points per year that you’ve been a men’s basketball wait list member since 2007-08
Check out that first bullet - the message from Villanova is clear. They want to get rid of people that aren’t donating to the school on an annual basis. This is going to make a lot of people angry. On the other hand, the school wants passionate fans and supporters in the building. Those with the biggest checkbooks aren’t always that, but this is clearly meant as a way to reward those that are giving back to the school.
Also of note, these point totals are per account, not per seat purchased. So whether you bought 1 seat or 6, your points are the same. Second, these points never expire. So your point total can only increase over the course of your life - though it sounds like seating.
Finally, Nova Points won’t just be used for Finneran Pavilion seating, but for Big East Tournament and NCAA Tournament seating requests this year as well. I don’t see anything about an annual re-seating at the Pavilion based on points, but I don’t see anything explicitly stating otherwise either.
If you’re looking for your points total, you can find it online in your Villanova Athletics accounts. There is a note however that your point totals won’t display yet if you have less than 50 points, but my guess is that the site is not updated yet. I don’t see a total, and I know I should have more than 50 points given my time on the wait list and my donations to the VAF.
If you’re a season-ticket holder and are planning to up your points total, make sure you do it by the end of the calendar year. Finneran Pavilion seating assignments will begin in January and the priority will be based on points accumulated by December 31, 2017.